Rebels Online
About the Site
News Index
Search the Site
Slough Town FC
Away Fans Guide
Club History
Club Information
Kennedy Park News
Stag Meadow
Supporters Trust
Video Clips
Wexham Park
This Season
Fixtures & Results
Photos Index
Playing Squad
Past Players
Player Profiles
Fun & Games



The Poll

Should I ever fix this poll?


View Current Standings


Gravesend 3-2 Rebels

Brave Rebels fall to 'Fleet
by Nathan on 27/02/2005

Gravesend ended Slough's run in the FA Trophy but the Rebels didn't make it easy for the Conference side.

Gravesend & Northfleet


Slough Town

Paul McCarthy (1-0)
Jay Saunders (2-2)
Manny Omoyinmi (3-2)


Michael Murphy (1-1)
Michael Murphy (2-1)

FA Trophy 5th Round
Stonebridge Road
Saturday 27th February 2005
The Report
Slough's FA Trophy run came to an end despite a spirited performance at Gravesend's Stonebridge Road. A brace from Michael Murphy had given the visitors an unlikely lead, but the Conference side hit back and claimed a place in the Quarter-Final.

Only nine minutes on the clock and the visitors had got off to a bad start. Paul McCarthy capitalised on poor defending and guided a free header into the far corner.

Things didn't get much better for the Rebels. In only his second game since coming back from injury, midfielder Darron Wilkinson (pictured left) had to go off with yet another injury and was replaced by Glen Harris.

With about a quarter of the game gone, Michael Murphy (pictured right) equalised for Slough with a spectacular strike from no less than 30 yards, the shot dipping over former Rebels goalkeeper Paul Wilkerson and in off the underside of the crossbar.

From then on it was all Gravesend. Only desperate defending prevented the home side from retaking the lead.

2nd half

The 2nd half started pretty brightly for the Rebels, who were attacking more rather than sitting back and defending.

Michael Murphy scored his second of the afternoon when he hammered a free-kick past the 'keeper and into the net.

This gave Slough hope of another giantkilling act, but class and fitness levels eventually paid off and Jay Saunders levelled the scores when again poor defending let the visitors down, Saunders tapping in a cross from close range.

Gravesend's top goalscorer Manny Omoyinmi put the hosts into the last eight when he beat Ian Hodges (pictured left) and guided a shot from inside the area across the goalmouth and into the far corner.

Despite Slough's best efforts of getting back into the game, they couldn't find another equaliser and bowed out of the competition, despite making a good account of themselves.

The Teams

Gravesend & Northfleet

Slough Town

12. Paul Wilkerson
3. Justin Skinner
4. Graham Porter (2)
5. Manny Omoyinmi
6. Paul McCarthy
7. Steve McKimm
8. Jay Saunders
11. Roy Essandoh (15)
16. Lee Protheroe
22. Matthew Lovell
23. Andy Drury (25)
1. Shaun Allaway
2. Josias Carbon
3. Michael Murphy
4. Steve Daly
5. James Saulsbury
6. Ryan Spencer
7. Darron Wilkinson (S3)
8. Matt Seedel
9. Ian Hodges
10. Matt Murphy (S4)
11. Christian Metcalfe
Subs Subs
2. Lee Gledhill
10. Jimmy Jackson
15. James Pinnock
25. Moussa Sidibe
S5. n/k
S1. Veli Hakki
S2. Sam Shepherd
S3. Glen Harris
S4. Daniel Cann
S5. Michael Parkin
Manager Liam Daish Manager Eddie Denton
Attendance: 963

Match Officials

Referee - R. Desmond (Swindon)
Assistant referee - S. Brock
Assistant referee - J. Rowbury

RebelsOnline Man of the Match

Michael Murphy

Scored two great goals and defended really well.

Match Photos

The players coming out from the tunnel.

Video Clips


If you have anything to contribute towards any of our match reports, or if you would like to report a mistake, incorrect information or an error, please let us know. Email us at

Talk about this on the Fan's Forum

RebelsOnline is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of
Slough Town Football Club

All photographs, images, text and other content are copyright 2003-2006 RebelsOnline
and must not be reproduced in whole or in part without prior permission.