Rebels Online
About the Site
News Index
Search the Site
Slough Town FC
Away Fans Guide
Club History
Club Information
Kennedy Park News
Stag Meadow
Supporters Trust
Video Clips
Wexham Park
This Season
Fixtures & Results
Photos Index
Playing Squad
Past Players
Player Profiles
Fun & Games



The Poll

Should I ever fix this poll?


View Current Standings


Goalscorer Laurence Brown

Rebels 1-1 Thatcham Town
by Nathan on 26/08/2008

Slough are denied their first win of the new season by a Stefan Brown effort six minutes into injury time.

Slough Town

Thatcham Town



Laurence Brown . Stefan Brown
British Gas Business Southern League Division One South & West
Holloways Park
Monday 25th August 2008
The Report

Despite an even start to the game and Thatcham having the better of the second half, it took until the 96th minute for the visitors to get a deserved equaliser.

Some of Slough's build-up play was a joy to watch, but the home side hardly forced the visiting goalkeeper Paul Strudley into a save, with only John Gray and Eamonn McCongiely efforts to show for Slough's pressure; with both shots coming from outside the area, causing Strudley no trouble.

In contrast, Thatcham regularly tested the suspect Slough defence and were unlucky not to take the lead when a header fly narrowly over from one of many first half corners.

It was the Rebels who took the lead with our only meaningful effort on goal. A John Gray corner was headed back by Danny Jordan (pictured right) at the far post for Laurence Brown to turn it into the corner.

The lead could easily have lasted only 5 minutes, as with the next Thatcham attack, Dean Harper (pictured below left) headed against his own post.

Even having conceded ten goals over the last two games, the Slough defence appeared not to have learnt any lessons and continued to sit back and invite pressure. Thomas Melledew for Thatcham almost equalised after 26 minutes but his long range shot flew narrowly over the crossbar. Minutes later, Jemel Johnson for the visitors hit another long range effort for another narrow miss.

It was only with just over 5 minutes remaining of the first half did Slough begin to get back into the game. John Gray, on one of his mazy runs through the Thatcham defence, was bought down by Sam Rea about 25 yards out, but the subsequent free-kick came to nothing.

There was still time for another near-miss for Thatcham before half-time, this time from Sam Rea's free-kick.

The suspect Slough defending continued through the second half, with several goalmouth scrambles seemingly every time Thatcham got the ball forward. The Rebels played on the counter-attack, with John Gray being stopped in his tracks by the defence shortly after a period of heavy Thatcham pressure.

Joe Harris forced Jamie Jackson into an excellent low save shortly before Jackson proved to be Slough's hero again, this time blocking Johnson's effort before following this up by hacking clear Harris' rebound.

Laurence Brown and Craig Roberts wasted half-chances for Slough before the Rebels were denied what appeared to be a clear-cut penalty, with John Gray being pulled down inside the box with the referee waving play on.

For a brief period Slough were on top and creating chances, with Thomas Attrell (pictured right) having a 30 yard effort comfortably saved.

The visitors were desperate for their equaliser however and, after several rather speculative efforts (including a shot that went nearer to the corner flag than the goal) and a Thomas Melledew effort that smashed against Jamie Jackson's crossbar, Stefan Brown stepped up to smash a 30 yard effort into Jamie Jackson's left hand corner, despite protests for offside.

There was still time for Slough to go for a late winner however, but Laurence Brown scuffed his effort high and wide of the right hand post.

Some would say that Slough were unlucky having held on for all that time, but the Rebels really did ride their luck at times and Thatcham could/should have equalised well beforehand. If they had had their shooting boots on, the Rebels could well have been looking at a good thrashing.

The Teams

Slough Town

Thatcham Town

1. Jamie Jackson
2. Dean Harper
3. Eamonn McConigley
4. Lee Riddell
5. Ryan Fenton
6. Craig Roberts
7. James Pritchard (c)
8. Laurence Brown
9. Danny Jordan
10. Thomas Attrell
11. John Gray (12)
1. Paul Strudley
2. Jamie Leocock (c) (12)
3. Paul Taplin
4. Sam Rea
5. Adam Pilling
6. Thomas Melledew
7. Joe Harris
8. Dave Asker
9. Jemel Johnson (16)
10. Sean Cook
11. Mario Nurse
Substitutes Substitutes
12. Stanley Mugisha (11)
14. Roy Gumbs
15. Leon Braithwaite
16. Calvin Maye
17. Alex Tuttle
12. Stefan Brown (2)
14. Dean Flockton
15. Gareth Thomas
16. Ryan Williams (9)
17. Steve Hale

Attendance: 278

Match Officials

Referee Mr. M. D. Rowley
Assistant Referee Mr. M. Sarah
Assistant Referee Mr. T. J. Pusey

RebelsOnline Man of the Match

Jamie Jackson

Kept us in the game with several vital saves.

Match Photos


Video Clips


If you have anything to contribute towards any of our match reports, or if you would like to report a mistake, incorrect information or an error, please let us know. Email us at

Talk about this on the Fan's Forum

RebelsOnline is an independent website and the views expressed are not necessarily those of
Slough Town Football Club

All photographs, images, text and other content are copyright 2003-2006 RebelsOnline
and must not be reproduced in whole or in part without prior permission.